celtic fantasy fiction & more

05 February 2011

truth, legend, myth and other realities


As a little girl, I read fairy tales and believed they were true.

As a teen, I read mythology stories and believed they were not true.

As a young woman, I read world history and believed it to be true.

As a mature woman, I believe all of it but none of it to be the truth as it is given.

To me, history and myths recorded through the annals of time are intertwined.  For most of us, as we turn from small imaginative children into grown-up "reasonable" people, we come to accept that certain stories belong in "mythology" lessons and others are in "history" class.  Some are fiction, others fact and never the twain shall meet.  But, for most of us, there comes a time when questions arise about these hard drawn lines in the sand.

In my imagination, many lines are blurred regarding these matters; many legends hold more weight with me than most historical accounts.  There are clues all around for a fantasy writer to explore.  But even if one does believe in dragons,  I suppose it's best to keep such topics out of social conversation... unless you don't mind being labeled as "going round the twist"...

Personally, I don't mind much at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment