celtic fantasy fiction & more

30 January 2011

entering the unknown



Writing fantasy fiction is all about entering an unknown world.  There are no limits as to how the world is structured, who inhabits it, what they wear and eat {or don't wear/eat} and what their lives are like.  These unknown worlds find their way into my mind through various means.

I had the great fortune of living in Ireland for a while and, as a native New Yorker, was indeed entering an unknown world.  Yes, it had been over a decade since I'd departed from city life, but the Emerald Isle was quite an eye opener. 

Staying just down the road from Newgrange {pictured above}, I was awestruck by such an incredibly magical and mysterious site.  Entering the grounds, let alone the chamber itself, was one of those spine-tingling experiences that I'll never forget. 

At five thousand years old, Newgrange and the surrounding carved stones brought me straight into a fantasy story.  Who were these people and what were they like?  Everything was foreign and fascinating {and gorgeously green and round} and, personally, I never wanted to leave.

Particularly because Newgrange was built with intention for "passage", I find places like this very inspiring when writing fantasy fiction; rarely am I concerned with normal life as we know it.  My imaginings of another world flourish when I visit the unknown of this one... either in person or by looking at certain photographs/art, or by reading history and lore.  For me, it wasn't until I visited the British Isles that I truly felt the possibility for magic to occur -- in the past, in the present day, and hopefully in times to come.

photo:  yourirish.com

No comments:

Post a Comment