celtic fantasy fiction & more

19 January 2011

dwellings


A fantasy story would not be complete without dwellings.  What would Harry Potter have been like without Hogwarts or the Burrow?

As a fantasy writer, I must confess here and now that although I ADORE The Lord of the Rings trilogy films, I have only read the third book.  {eek!}  I know it's horrid but I was never one of those teens who got into The Hobbit and LOTR... sigh.  I do intend to read them at some point.  Why not soak up some mastery, eh?

Anyway, when I saw the first film I was immediately head-over-heels in love with Bilbo's home, inside & out.  How simple!  How organic!  How adorable!  How utterly perfect for me and my little fairy ways!

I have been exposed to many "alternative" style homes -- I've lived in Taos, NM in an earthship {while dating a guy who lived in a yurt} then later lived {in a funky cabin} just up the road from the infamous Mushroom House in Whistler, BC -- but it wasn't until I imagined ideal homes and communities for my fantasy writing that structures began to take on unique form.  Once the proverbial "box" is broken out of, there truly is no going back.  Let's face it, regular box houses are kind of boring, particularly from the outside.

I encourage you all to close your eyes and, combined with Hobbiton or Rivendell or wherever your heart leads you, imagine the most gorgeous and magical dwelling you possibly can, then see your characters in those rooms, those homes, those realms.  And why not see yourself in there, too?

drawing:  balewatch.com

No comments:

Post a Comment