celtic fantasy fiction & more

05 December 2010

finding our voice in symbols


Sometimes words can be a burden.  I know, not a statement one would expect on a writers' blog, eh?  Well I believe it's true; for me, rather than explaining something in minute detail, using symbols to illustrate a message is often times far more pleasing and effective.

My mind works quite easily in the world of symbolism.  Metaphors, similes, allegories, I love them all and utilize them as much as possible.  Particularly because my writing style is rather simplistic -- meaning I don't go out of my way to use words I wouldn't say in everyday speech -- symbols are a way for my stories to gain depth and complexity.

Over the years of studying symbols, I have found that many are misused to the point where I best not include them in my writing.  An extreme example of distortion would be the swastika but there are many grey areas with various symbols having very different meanings at different times, places and cultures in history.  Having been a Harry Potter fanatic for several years {which has now subsided} I found the series to be an excellent example of the many shades of grey and how symbols might be used and/or misused.  So I try to be quite selective and do my homework. 

Whether animal, vegetable, mineral, geometry or anything in between, the world is chock full of symbols at a writer's disposal.  The style in which we get our message, or question, across has limitless possibilities when explored through the filter of symbolism.


photo:  wikimedia / Mehmet Karatay

No comments:

Post a Comment