celtic fantasy fiction & more

12 December 2010

light


Moments are sacred in writing.  We storytellers live for a Great Moment, some point in time where we can loll around and soak in the scenery, embellishing this or that, so the reader witnesses, stays with, the lingering glance or hesitant gesture that will mean something extraordinary. 

For me, an important facet of those Moments is creating the lighting:  a candlelit room is very different than being in one blaring with bulbs, or one dappled with morning sunshine.  In my life I take note of the lighting around me, how it affects my mood and my interaction with those near me.  It is no small part of how situations play out.  Unfortunately, in the day-to-day rush it's hard to pay much attention to atmosphere.  But hopefully we can apply subtle aspects to our work, and make a Great Moment something truly special when we shine a literary light... on light.

No comments:

Post a Comment